top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Understanding Medicare Coverage for Electric Scooters: A Comprehensive Guide

In the quest for improved mobility and independence, many people wonder, 'Will Medicare pay for an electric scooter?' The answer is not a simple yes or no, as Medicare coverage depends on numerous factors relating to the patient's individual medical needs and the types of Medicare plans they have.

For seniors and individuals with limited mobility, electric scooters have become an essential tool for maintaining freedom and enhancing quality of life. Under certain circumstances, Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) may cover the costs of durable medical equipment (DME), which can include electric scooters or power-operated vehicles (POVs) if they're deemed medically necessary by a doctor.

To qualify for coverage, the following conditions must usually be met:

  1. The patient must have a health condition that significantly impairs their mobility.
  2. The electric scooter must be prescribed by a Medicare-enrolled physician as necessary for the patient to perform daily activities within the home.
  3. The patient must be able to operate the scooter safely, or have someone who can operate it for them.
  4. The provider of the electric scooter must be enrolled in Medicare and accept assignment.

Medicare typically covers 80% of the approved amount for the scooter's cost once the patient has met the Part B deductible. The individual is responsible for the remaining 20% as coinsurance.

For extra assistance, some individuals might have a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) plan that can help pay for the out-of-pocket costs associated with a medically necessary electric scooter.

Those enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) should also check with their plan to understand the specifics of their DME coverage, as these plans sometimes offer additional benefits beyond Original Medicare.

It's important to perform thorough research and consult with medical professionals and Medicare representatives to understand the full scope of what your Medicare coverage includes regarding electric scooters.

Remember that while the process of obtaining a Medicare-covered electric scooter might seem daunting at first, diligence and adherence to proper channels can significantly increase your chances of receiving assistance with your mobility needs.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page