Are Electric Scooters Legal in New Mexico?
In New Mexico, there is a bill proposed that would classify electric scooters as devices that:
- Weighs less than one hundred pounds (100 lbs);
- Has two (2) or three (3) wheels;
- Has a handlebar and a floorboard that can be used to stand on while riding;
- Is powered by an electric motor;
- Has a maximum speed of twenty miles per hour
The bill (linked below) would allow for the regulation of scooters under the same laws as bicycles. Helmets are required for riders under the age of 18. Currently, only Albuquerque has approved regulations.