Are Electric Scooters Legal in West Virginia?
The suggested guidance from the State of West Virginia is that electric cooters would fall under the e-bike / moped category.
- E-bikes are defined as “mopeds” under West Virginia law. As “mopeds,” e-bikes are not subject to all of the same rules of the road that apply to bicycles.
- As a “moped,” an e-bike is a form of motor vehicle and is subject to motor vehicle laws including licensing, registration, and insurance.
- E-bike riders must wear helmets.
- E-bike riders must be at least 15 years of age.
- E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks.
- Consult your local authority or agency for information regarding whether e-bikes are permitted on bicycle paths in your area.