top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Acquiring a 3-Wheeled Electric Scooter with Medicare and Medicaid

Navigating the world of medical assistance programs can be daunting, but it's important to know your options when it comes to acquiring mobility aids like 3-wheeled electric scooters. In this article, we'll explore the steps you need to take to acquire a 3-wheeled electric scooter while on Medicare and Medicaid.

Step 1: Consult with your doctor
Before starting the process of acquiring an electric scooter, it's essential to discuss your mobility needs with your doctor. They'll need to write a prescription for the scooter, detailing the medical necessity for this specific type of mobility aid.

Step 2: Determine your eligibility for Medicare's coverage
Medicare Part B covers durable medical equipment (DME) which includes electric scooters. To qualify for coverage, you must meet specific criteria, such as having a severe mobility limitation and requiring assistance with daily activities. Medicare typically covers 80% of the cost for DME, leaving you responsible for the remaining 20%.

Step 3: Contact a Medicare-approved supplier
Once your doctor has written the prescription and you've confirmed your eligibility for Medicare coverage, you should contact a Medicare-approved supplier in your area. They can guide you through the process of selecting an appropriate scooter and submitting the necessary paperwork for coverage.

Step 4: Check your Medicaid benefits
If you're on Medicaid in addition to Medicare, you may be eligible for assistance with the remaining 20% of the scooter cost. Medicaid coverage varies by state, so you'll need to contact your state's Medicaid office to learn more about your benefits and coverage options for electric scooters.

Step 5: Complete the necessary paperwork
Work with your doctor and the Medicare-approved supplier to complete the necessary paperwork, including the Certificate of Medical Necessity (CMN) and any required pre-authorization forms from your Medicaid program.

Step 6: Await approval and delivery
Once your paperwork is submitted, you'll need to wait for approval from Medicare and your state's Medicaid program. If approved, your 3-wheeled electric scooter will be delivered to you, and you'll be on your way to increased independence and mobility.

Navigating the process of acquiring a 3-wheeled electric scooter while on Medicare and Medicaid can be challenging, but with the help of your doctor and a Medicare-approved supplier, you'll have access to the mobility aid that best fits your needs.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page