top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Discover if Medicare Covers Mobility Scooter Expenses

With an ever-increasing reliance on mobility aids to enhance quality of life, many people find themselves asking, Will Medicare pay for a mobility scooter? It's a question of great importance to those who require assistance for ease of mobility and independence.

The simple answer is: Yes, Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) can help cover the costs of durable medical equipment (DME), which includes mobility scooters. However, to receive financial assistance from Medicare for a mobility scooter, you must meet specific criteria.

Firstly, it’s imperative that a Medicare-enrolled doctor prescribes the scooter as a necessary medical device for your home use. You'll need to have a face-to-face examination and a written prescription from the doctor.

Secondly, the scooter must be deemed as a significant help to your condition, which means you must have a condition that impairs your mobility and the scooter will help you carry out daily activities in your home.

Thirdly, you'll need to get the scooter from a durable medical equipment supplier that's enrolled in Medicare. It is crucial since not all suppliers accept Medicare.

Remember that under the Medicare plan, the scooter is covered as a rental or a purchase, but only if the supplier is a participant in the Medicare program. Additionally, Medicare only covers the costs when they determine the scooter to be medically necessary, and there is a specific process for making this determination.

When you meet these conditions, Medicare typically covers 80% of the Medicare-approved amount after you've met the Part B deductible. You’re responsible for the remaining 20%. It's also worth noting that some Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C) may offer additional benefits, including coverage for mobility scooters.

It’s advisable to contact Medicare directly or consult with a Medicare specialist to understand the full spectrum of your benefits and any potential out-of-pocket costs.

In summary, while Medicare can cover the cost of a mobility scooter, there are strict guidelines and criteria that must be met first. It's essential to follow the proper procedures and work with your doctor and medical suppliers who participate in the Medicare program to ensure you get the help you need.

Stay informed and take the steps required, and a mobility scooter can very well be within your reach, with Medicare assisting in the cost.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy
scooters

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Blog

Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more

Careers

Interested in working at Levy?

Investors

Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you

Specs

Technical specs for all of our scooters

Batteries

The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Compare

Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best

Tires

Learn more about electric scooter tires

Accessories

Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city

Subscriptions

Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired

Contact

Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page