top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Does Medicare Cover Electric Scooters for Mobility Assistance?

Understanding Medicare Coverage for Electric Scooters

Navigating the healthcare system can be a complex process, especially when it comes to understanding what services and devices are covered. Many individuals wonder, 'Do Medicare pay for scooters?' and the answer is, yes, Medicare can cover electric scooters under certain conditions.

Medicare Part B, which is the portion of Medicare that covers outpatient services, may provide coverage for durable medical equipment (DME) when deemed medically necessary. Electric scooters fall under the category of DME. To qualify for coverage, a doctor must prescribe the scooter as an essential item for the individual's home use.

Here are the conditions that must be met for Medicare to cover your electric scooter:

  1. You have a health condition that causes significant difficulty moving around in your home.
  2. You need the scooter to complete daily activities such as bathing, dressing, and navigating your living space.
  3. You are able to safely operate the scooter, or you have someone available to assist you.
  4. The scooter is intended for use inside the home; although you can of course use it outside the home as well.
  5. Your doctor is enrolled in Medicare and prescribes the scooter as medically necessary.

Once these conditions are met, Medicare Part B will cover 80% of the Medicare-approved price for the scooter, and you will be responsible for the remaining 20%. However, if you have a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy, it may help pay for the copayment or coinsurance costs.

It's essential to work with a Medicare-approved supplier that participates in the Medicare program to avoid additional expenses. Suppliers who are enrolled in Medicare but have chosen not to participate may charge more than the Medicare-approved amount, increasing your out-of-pocket costs.

If you believe that an electric scooter is a necessary aid for your mobility, the first step is to consult with your doctor to discuss your options. If your doctor agrees and documents your need for a mobility aid, they will write you a prescription which you can take to a Medicare-approved DME supplier.

In conclusion, while Medicare can provide coverage for electric scooters, it is heavily dependent on individual circumstances and medical necessity. It is vital to consult with healthcare professionals and work with Medicare-approved suppliers to ensure you get the support and equipment you need.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page