top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Getting an Electric Scooter through Medicare: A Comprehensive Guide

The ability to maintain mobility is vital for seniors and individuals with disabilities. An electric scooter can greatly improve their quality of life, giving them the freedom to continue enjoying their daily activities. If you're wondering how to get an electric scooter through Medicare, you're in the right place. In this article, we'll guide you through the process step-by-step, ensuring you understand how to get the financial assistance you need.

  1. Eligibility: Before starting the process, you should know whether you qualify for Medicare coverage. The primary requirement for Medicare to cover an electric scooter is that your doctor must consider it medically necessary. Ensure that you have Medicare Part B, which covers durable medical equipment (DME) such as electric scooters.

  2. Doctor's Prescription: Consult with your doctor, who will evaluate your mobility and determine whether an electric scooter is essential for your daily activities. If your doctor agrees, they will provide you with a written prescription and a detailed order stating that an electric scooter is a medical necessity for you.

  3. Finding an Approved Supplier: Not every DME supplier works with Medicare, so it's crucial to find a supplier that is Medicare-approved. You can use the Medicare Supplier Directory to identify approved suppliers in your area. Ensure that you choose a 'participating' supplier, as they are required to accept Medicare's assignment.

  4. Scooter Selection: Medicare only covers standard electric scooters suitable for daily use. It doesn't cover luxury models or those with additional features not directly associated with improved mobility. Consult with your chosen Medicare-approved supplier to ensure that your desired electric scooter qualifies for coverage.

  5. Submitting the Claim: Once you've selected a suitable electric scooter and found a participating supplier, they will handle the submission of your claim to Medicare. After Medicare reviews your claim and approves it, they will pay their portion (usually 80%) directly to the supplier. You would then be responsible for the remaining 20% of the total cost.

  6. Reimbursement: In some cases, you may need to pay for the electric scooter upfront and seek reimbursement from Medicare afterwards. This usually happens when the supplier is non-participating in Medicare. Keep all relevant documentation, such as your prescription, supplier receipts, and any additional medical records to substantiate your claim.

In conclusion, getting an electric scooter covered by Medicare can be a straightforward process if you follow the required steps. Always consult with your doctor, choose a Medicare-approved supplier, and ensure you select a scooter that qualifies for coverage. Stay mobile and enjoy life with an electric scooter covered by Medicare!

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page