top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

How to Get a Medicare-Paid Electric Scooter

As our bodies age, mobility can sometimes become a challenge. For those looking for ways to maintain independence without breaking the bank, a Medicare-paid electric scooter may be the answer. In this article, we'll guide you through the process of obtaining an electric scooter or power wheelchair through Medicare.

  1. Check Your Eligibility: First and foremost, you'll need to determine if you're eligible for Medicare coverage. You must be enrolled in Medicare Part B, which covers durable medical equipment (DME) like scooters and wheelchairs.

  2. Schedule a Doctor's Appointment: Discuss your mobility needs with your primary care physician. They will determine if an electric scooter is medically necessary and write a prescription for one if appropriate.

  3. Medical Necessity Documentation: Your physician should document your mobility limitations, the specific equipment needed, and why other options (e.g., a cane or walker) will not suffice. This documentation is crucial for Medicare coverage approval.

  4. Choose a Medicare-Approved Supplier: Locate a supplier that participates in the Medicare program. These suppliers must follow specific guidelines and meet quality standards set by Medicare. You can find a list of approved suppliers on the Medicare website.

  5. Obtain Prior Authorization: For certain types of power wheelchairs, Medicare requires a prior authorization before coverage is granted. This involves a detailed written order from your doctor, which your supplier will submit to Medicare for review.

  6. Claim Submission and Approval: Your Medicare-approved supplier will submit a claim on your behalf, including the necessary documentation from you and your doctor. Once approved, you'll be responsible for a 20% copayment, while Medicare covers the remaining 80% of the cost.

  7. Scooter Delivery: Once your claim is approved, the supplier will deliver your new electric scooter. Be sure to ask them any questions you may have about proper use and maintenance.

By following these steps, you can obtain a Medicare-paid electric scooter to help regain your mobility independence. Remember to consult with your primary care physician and navigate the process with a Medicare-approved supplier to ensure a smooth and successful experience.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page