top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Medicare Coverage for Personal Transportation: Are Electric Scooters Included?

Navigating the complexities of Medicare coverage can be a daunting task, especially when it comes to understanding what types of personal transportation aids are eligible for reimbursement. One mobility aid that has been on the rise in popularity is the electric scooter. These convenient and eco-friendly scooters offer enhanced mobility for those who need assistance getting around due to health conditions.

Under Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance), durable medical equipment (DME) that is considered medically necessary is covered. This generally includes equipment that is prescribed by a doctor for use in the patient's home, and which serves a medical purpose. To qualify for coverage, the DME must be able to withstand repeated use, be primarily used for a medical reason, not usually be useful to someone who isn't sick or injured, and be appropriate for use in the home.

So, does Medicare cover personal transportation electric scooters? The answer is, it depends. If an electric scooter is prescribed by a doctor as a necessary form of mobility aid for use in the home to assist with a medical condition and the patient meets specific criteria, it may be considered DME and could be partially covered by Medicare Part B. However, it's important to note that coverage would not typically extend to scooters intended primarily for leisure or recreational use outside the home.

For those who qualify, Medicare will cover 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for the scooter, after the Part B deductible is met. The remaining 20% would be the patient's responsibility, either out-of-pocket or through a supplemental Medigap policy.

It is also crucial for beneficiaries to ensure that their electric scooter supplier is enrolled in Medicare and has been approved by the program to avoid any unexpected costs. Additionally, Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans may offer additional benefits and coverage options, so it's worth checking with a specific plan provider for details.

Before making any decisions, it is recommended to discuss your needs with your healthcare provider and contact Medicare or a Medicare insurance advisor to get the most accurate and updated information regarding coverage eligibility for electric scooters as personal transportation aids.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page