top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Qualifying for an Electric Scooter Through Medicare: The Required Diagnosis

If you're experiencing mobility issues and believe an electric scooter could improve your quality of life, you may be wondering if Medicare will cover the costs. To qualify for an electric scooter through Medicare, you must meet certain diagnosis requirements and medical criteria. In this article, we will explore these requirements and the process of obtaining an electric scooter under Medicare coverage.

To begin with, it's important to understand that Medicare Part B considers electric scooters or power-operated vehicles (POVs) to be durable medical equipment (DME). This means that if you meet the necessary medical criteria, Medicare will cover 80% of the approved cost of the vehicle. The remaining 20% will be your responsibility, unless you have supplemental insurance that covers this amount.

To qualify for an electric scooter, you must have a specific medical diagnosis that indicates the scooter is medically necessary. This typically requires a face-to-face examination with your doctor, who will evaluate your mobility limitations and determine if an electric scooter is necessary for your daily activities. Common diagnoses that may require an electric scooter include:

  • Severe arthritis
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
  • Stroke
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Congestive heart failure

In addition to the diagnosis, your doctor must also provide a written prescription for the electric scooter. This prescription should detail your specific mobility limitations and explain why a scooter is necessary for your daily life.

Once you have the necessary documentation from your doctor, you can begin the process of obtaining an electric scooter from a supplier. Medicare requires that you get your scooter from a supplier that participates in the Medicare program and accepts assignment. This means they'll work directly with Medicare to get the scooter covered and billed appropriately. Be sure to choose a supplier that meets these criteria to ensure a smooth experience.

In summary, obtaining an electric scooter through Medicare requires a specific medical diagnosis, a face-to-face examination with your doctor, and a written prescription detailing your mobility limitations. Once you have this documentation, you can work with a Medicare-approved supplier to obtain your electric scooter and improve your mobility and quality of life.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page