top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Securing Medicare Coverage for Your Electric Scooter: A Comprehensive Guide

Navigating the process of acquiring an electric scooter through Medicare can be intricate, yet it is a pathway available for individuals who require mobility aids for their daily activities. To be eligible for a motorized scooter under Medicare Part B, one must meet specific criteria and proceed through a designated series of steps.

Firstly, it's imperative to understand that Medicare will cover a power-operated vehicle (POV) or scooter if it's medically necessary and prescribed by a doctor. To begin the process, schedule a consultation with your physician, who must be enrolled in Medicare, to ascertain if your health condition warrants the use of an electric scooter for mobility.

The doctor will evaluate your ability to perform daily activities and may issue a written order if a scooter is deemed necessary. The requisites for eligibility typically include an inability to perform activities of daily living (ADLs) without assistance and the inability to operate a manual wheelchair effectively.

Once a doctor's prescription is secured, you will need to source your electric scooter from a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider that participates in Medicare. It is crucial to ensure that both the doctor and the DME provider are enrolled in Medicare; otherwise, Medicare will not cover the expenses.

The Medicare Part B plan typically covers 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for the scooter rental or purchase, after meeting the Part B deductible. You are responsible for the remaining 20%, which might be covered by supplemental insurance if you have it.

To optimize your chances of Medicare coverage, meticulously document your medical necessity, acquire the appropriate forms and documentation from your doctor, and work closely with a Medicare-approved DME provider who can assist you in choosing a suitable electric scooter.

Remember, Medicare's coverage and requirements can change, so it's advisable to consult with a Medicare representative or visit the official Medicare website for the most current information.

Taking these steps can ultimately guide you towards regaining your mobility and independence with the support of Medicare. For specialized assistance and more personalized guidance, consider reaching out to a Medicare counselor or a healthcare provider familiar with the process.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy
scooters

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Blog

Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more

Careers

Interested in working at Levy?

Investors

Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you

Specs

Technical specs for all of our scooters

Batteries

The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Compare

Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best

Tires

Learn more about electric scooter tires

Accessories

Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city

Subscriptions

Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired

Contact

Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page