top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Understanding Medicare's Mobility Scooter Coverage Requirements

Navigating the world of Medicare can sometimes be tricky, but understanding their coverage requirements for mobility electric scooters doesn't have to be difficult. With an aging population and an increasing number of individuals requiring assistive devices, Medicare's coverage of mobility scooters has never been more important.

To qualify for Medicare coverage of an electric mobility scooter, certain requirements and criteria must be met. These include:

  1. Medical Necessity: The first and most important requirement is that the mobility scooter must be deemed medically necessary by a doctor. This means that the patient must have a condition that significantly impairs their ability to perform daily tasks and mobility-related activities.

  2. Limited Mobility: The patient must have limited mobility, meaning they cannot safely or effectively walk without assistance, even with the use of a cane or walker.

  3. Appropriate for Home Use: The mobility scooter must be appropriate for use within the patient's home. This means that the device must be able to navigate the home's layout and furnishings without causing damage or posing a safety risk.

  4. Doctor's Prescription: In order for Medicare to cover a mobility scooter, the patient must have a written prescription from their doctor specifically recommending the use of a scooter. The doctor must also provide documentation outlining the medical need and how the scooter will help improve the patient's life.

  5. Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Supplier: The mobility scooter must be purchased or rented from an approved Medicare Durable Medical Equipment (DME) supplier. These suppliers are held to certain standards by Medicare, ensuring that the equipment is of high quality and safely meets the patient's needs.

If all of these criteria are met, Medicare will cover up to 80% of the cost of the mobility scooter under Part B, with the remaining 20% being the patient's responsibility. It is important to note that Medicare may also have a competitive bidding program in some areas, meaning that the patient must obtain the scooter from an approved supplier within their area to qualify for coverage.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page