Are Electric Scooters Legal in Iowa?
In Iowa, electric scooters are defined as devices that:
- Weighs less than one hundred pounds (100 lbs);
- Has two (2) or three (3) wheels;
- Has a handlebar and a floorboard that can be used to stand on while riding;
- Is powered by an electric motor;
- Has a maximum speed of twenty miles per hour
Proposed bill to treat scooters as bicycles, allowing them on roads, sidewalks, and bike-paths. A license is not required. There is no statewide requirement for helmet use.
All remaining regulations regarding the safe operation of electric scooters and the presence of electric scooters on public property are governed by local authorities.