top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Getting an Electric Scooter with Medicare and Medicaid: A Comprehensive Guide

In recent years, electric scooters have become an increasingly popular mobility aid for those who struggle with limited mobility. For many, these devices serve as an essential tool for maintaining their independence and overall quality of life. With the rising demand for electric scooters, many individuals wonder if it's possible to get one covered by Medicare and Medicaid.

Medicare Coverage for Electric Scooters

Medicare Part B is the portion of the federal healthcare program that covers durable medical equipment (DME), including mobility aids such as electric scooters. In order to qualify for an electric scooter, your doctor must deem it medically necessary and prescribe the scooter as part of your treatment plan.

To be considered medically necessary, your doctor must certify that you require the scooter to complete daily activities, have limited mobility due to a health condition, and that you are able to safely and effectively operate the scooter. Additionally, the scooter must be required for use within your home, although it can also be used outside.

Upon receiving a prescription for an electric scooter, you will need to select an approved supplier who is enrolled in Medicare. Medicare will then cover 80% of the cost, while you will be responsible for the remaining 20%. Keep in mind that you must first meet your annual deductible before Medicare's coverage begins.

It's important to note that Medicare will not cover an electric scooter if it is only needed for outdoor use or recreational purposes. In order to obtain coverage, the scooter must be considered essential for routine daily activities and mobility within the home.

Medicaid Coverage for Electric Scooters

Medicaid is a state and federal program that provides healthcare coverage for low-income individuals. As a result, coverage for electric scooters varies based on individual state regulations. Some states offer full or partial coverage for electric scooters, while others may not cover them at all.

In order to determine if your state's Medicaid program offers coverage for electric scooters, you will need to contact your local Medicaid office or consult your state's Medicaid website. They will be able to provide you with information regarding eligibility, coverage limitations, and the scooter purchasing process.


Obtaining an electric scooter through Medicare and Medicaid is possible, but it requires a prescription from your doctor and deemed medically necessary. While Medicare Part B offers nationwide coverage for electric scooters, Medicaid coverage varies depending on your state. By following the proper steps and staying informed, you can work towards obtaining an electric scooter and improving your mobility and quality of life.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page