top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Guide to Getting an Electric Scooter Through Medicare

Navigating the world of healthcare can be challenging, especially when trying to figure out how to get an electric scooter through Medicare. These devices provide increased mobility and independence for those who have difficulty walking or need assistance due to disabilities or health issues. Our comprehensive guide helps you understand the process of obtaining an electric scooter through Medicare, from determining eligibility to selecting a device.


Step 1: Assess your eligibility


The first step to get an electric scooter through Medicare is to determine if you're eligible for coverage. You'll need to have a prescription or recommendation from a doctor, indicating that an electric scooter is necessary for your medical condition.


Step 2: Schedule a face-to-face examination


To qualify for Medicare coverage, you must have a face-to-face examination with your doctor to discuss your mobility needs. During this appointment, your doctor will evaluate your physical condition and determine if an electric scooter would improve your mobility and support your medical treatment plan.


Step 3: Obtain a Detailed Written Order


If your doctor approves your need for an electric scooter, they will need to provide a detailed written order (DWO) to submit to Medicare. The DWO should include a detailed description of your mobility needs, medical condition, and why an electric scooter is suitable for you.


Step 4: Choose a Medicare-approved supplier


Medicare coverage for electric scooters is available through Medicare Part B, under durable medical equipment (DME) benefits. When selecting your scooter, make sure to choose a supplier that is enrolled in Medicare and holds a Competitive Bidding Contract if you live in a Competitive Bidding Area. If you're unsure which suppliers meet these requirements, visit the Medicare Supplier Directory website to find a list of Medicare-enrolled suppliers in your area.


Step 5: Submit your paperwork to Medicare


Once you've obtained your DWO and chosen a Medicare-approved supplier, your supplier will submit your paperwork to Medicare on your behalf. You may need to provide additional documentation, like a Certificate of Medical Necessity, to ensure your scooter approval goes through.


Step 6: Pay your share of the cost


Medicare typically covers 80% of the cost of an electric scooterStep 6: Pay your share of the cost Medicare typically covers 80% of the cost of an electric scooter, leaving you responsible for the remaining 20% and any applicable deductibles. Be prepared to pay your share of the cost when purchasing your scooter.


In conclusion, obtaining an electric scooter through Medicare involves several steps. From assessing your eligibility to submitting the necessary paperwork, understanding the process will help you secure coverage for your mobility needs and enjoy the benefits of increased independence.


Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy
scooters

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Blog

Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more

Careers

Interested in working at Levy?

Investors

Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you

Specs

Technical specs for all of our scooters

Batteries

The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Compare

Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best

Tires

Learn more about electric scooter tires

Accessories

Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city

Subscriptions

Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired

Contact

Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page