top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Understanding Medicare Coverage for Electric Scooters: Eligibility and How to Qualify

For individuals with mobility issues, an electric scooter can be a game-changer in terms of independence and ease of travel. As such, a common question that arises is: Can I get a scooter on Medicare? The simple answer is yes, Medicare Part B can cover the cost of a power-operated scooter if it's medically necessary.

To qualify for Medicare coverage for an electric scooter, you must have a face-to-face examination and a written prescription from a doctor or qualified health care provider. During this examination, the doctor must document that you have a mobility issue that significantly impairs your ability to perform daily living activities and that you are unable to operate a manual wheelchair. Additionally, it must be proven that you will be able to safely operate the scooter, or have someone at home who can assist you.

After the assessment, your healthcare provider will submit a written order stating that the electric scooter is necessary for your health and daily living. It should include your diagnosis, the need for a mobility device, and why a scooter is preferred over a wheelchair.

Choosing a scooter that fits within the types approved by Medicare is equally important. The equipment must be provided by a supplier that is enrolled in the Medicare program for you to be reimbursed. Furthermore, keep in mind that Medicare only covers the cost that falls under the durable medical equipment (DME) category and often, they will cover 80%, with the remaining 20% being either out-of-pocket or covered by supplemental insurance.

It is important to note that Medicare's policies and coverage can change, and it's best to consult the latest guidelines or speak with a Medicare representative to confirm the current coverage details. In the event that Medicare does not provide sufficient assistance for your desired model or type of electric scooter, there may be other financial aid or assistance programs that can provide support.

Investing in a mobility scooter not only brings greater independence but can also significantly improve the quality of life. By understanding Medicare's requirements and ensuring you meet them, you can navigate the process of getting an electric scooter funded through this health coverage program.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page