top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Medicare Coverage for Motorized Scooters: What You Need to Know

Navigating the intricacies of Medicare can be challenging, especially when it comes to understanding what equipment and devices are covered under your plan. One question that often arises among those with mobility issues is: Are motorized scooters covered by Medicare?

The simple answer is, yes, Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) can help cover the cost of durable medical equipment (DME), such as motorized scooters, if the equipment is medically necessary and prescribed by a doctor for use in the home.

To be eligible for coverage, several criteria must be met:

  1. The individual seeking the motorized scooter must have a health condition that causes significant difficulty with mobility around the home.
  2. A doctor must document and certify that the scooter is a necessary and prescribed part of the individual’s treatment plan for their condition.
  3. The supplier from which the scooter is purchased must be a Medicare-approved supplier who meets strict standards.

Once you have a doctor's prescription, you need to choose a Medicare-approved supplier to ensure the cost is covered. Medicare will pay for 80 percent of the approved amount, and the individual is responsible for the remaining 20 percent unless they have supplemental insurance that covers the co-pay.

There are specific models of scooters that are covered, so it's important to consult with your healthcare provider and the supplier to ensure that the model you are interested in is covered.

If you're considering a motorized scooter, start by discussing your health needs with your doctor to ensure that a motorized scooter is suitable for you and to initiate the process of Medicare coverage. Keep in mind that you will need to fulfill all Medicare requirements, including having a face-to-face consultation with the prescribing physician.

Always be sure to consult with a Medicare representative or a healthcare provider for the most current information and to get assistance with the coverage process. Remember that the criteria for coverage can be strict and the process can take some time, so it's important to begin as soon as you can.

For those who meet the requirements, a motorized scooter can be a valuable tool in improving quality of life, increasing mobility, and maintaining independence. With Medicare's help, the financial burden of purchasing one can be significantly reduced.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy
scooters

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Blog

Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more

Careers

Interested in working at Levy?

Investors

Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you

Specs

Technical specs for all of our scooters

Batteries

The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Compare

Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best

Tires

Learn more about electric scooter tires

Accessories

Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city

Subscriptions

Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired

Contact

Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page