top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Understanding Medicare Coverage for Mobility Scooters

Navigating the intricacies of Medicare coverage for mobility equipment like electric scooters can be challenging. However, understanding these details is crucial for individuals who rely on mobility aids for their day-to-day living.

Medicare, the U.S. government health insurance program for people aged 65 and over as well as some younger individuals with disabilities, may cover the cost of a mobility scooter under certain conditions. These devices are categorized as Durable Medical Equipment (DME) under Medicare Part B, which covers a variety of medical aids necessary for patients.

To qualify for Medicare coverage for an electric scooter, the recipient must have a face-to-face consultation with a Medicare-approved physician. This doctor must provide a written prescription stating that the scooter is a medical necessity due to the patient's health condition.

The patient's mobility must be significantly impaired within the home setting, preventing the performance of activities of daily living like bathing, dressing, and moving around. Additionally, the patient must demonstrate the ability to safely operate the scooter and have the physical and mental capacity to consistently use it.

Assuming these conditions are met, Medicare Part B will typically cover 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for the scooter rental or purchase after the patient meets the Part B deductible. The remaining 20% is the patient's responsibility, which can be covered by a Medicaid program, supplemental insurance, or out-of-pocket payment.

It is important for individuals considering a Medicare-covered scooter to work with a supplier that participates in the Medicare program. If the supplier is a Medicare-approved provider, this ensures the equipment meets specific standards and that the price aligns with Medicare's approved charges.

In summary, while Medicare can help cover the costs associated with a mobility scooter, there are set requirements and processes that need to be followed. It is advised that individuals consult with a healthcare provider and research authorized suppliers to make the process as smooth and efficient as possible.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy
scooters

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Blog

Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more

Careers

Interested in working at Levy?

Investors

Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you

Specs

Technical specs for all of our scooters

Batteries

The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Compare

Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best

Tires

Learn more about electric scooter tires

Accessories

Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city

Subscriptions

Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired

Contact

Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page