top of page

Use code SCNEWCUST15 for 15% off ALL scooters through month-end.  Redeem here

Understanding Medicare Coverage for Electric Scooters

Navigating the world of medical insurance and coverage can be a daunting task, particularly when it comes to finding out which products and services your specific plan will support. One common question among Medicare beneficiaries is what kind of electric scooters are covered by the program. Here, we delve into the types of electric scooters Medicare covers, as well as how to ensure you meet the requirements for coverage.

Medicare Part B coverage includes a broad range of medical equipment, referred to as Durable Medical Equipment (DME). Electric scooters, also known as mobility scooters or power-operated vehicles (POVs), fall under this umbrella. These battery-powered devices help people with limited mobility move around more easily, both indoors and outdoors.

However, not all electric scooter models qualify for coverage. Medicare will only cover scooters that have three or four wheels, swivel seats, and basic, non-customized features necessary for everyday use. Luxury or recreational models with advanced features, such as fast speeds, extended ranges, or specialized suspension systems, are typically not covered.

To qualify for Medicare coverage for an electric scooter, the following requirements must be met:

  1. You must be enrolled in Medicare Part B.
  2. Your healthcare provider must prescribe the scooter as medically necessary for your condition. This typically means you must have limited mobility and require an electric scooter to complete everyday activities, such as getting around your home or performing basic tasks.
  3. The scooter must be needed for use primarily within your home, even if it can also be used outdoors.
  4. You must obtain the scooter from a Medicare-approved supplier to ensure coverage.

Once these requirements are met, Medicare will cover 80% of the approved amount for the electric scooter. You will still be responsible for the remaining 20% as well as any applicable deductibles.

Keep in mind that coverage and requirements may vary depending on your location and specific insurance plan, so it's essential to consult with your healthcare provider and insurance representative to determine your eligibility for coverage.

In conclusion, while Medicare covers basic electric scooters deemed medically necessary, it's crucial to meet specific requirements and work closely with your healthcare provider and insurance provider to ensure you get the support you need for increased mobility and enhanced quality of life.

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Start a Fleet

Start a rental fleet with Levy

Levy Electric Scooter Icons


Wholesale Levy scooters at your online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Retail Partners

Wholesale Levy scooters at your 
online store or shop

Levy Electric Scooter Icons

Tag us

Follow and tag us on social!

Brand Ambassador

Earn money for referring friends and growing the network

Service Guides

DIY repair tools, videos, and more


Interested in working at Levy?


Invest in the Levy Network

Levy Locations

Find our rental, repair, and store locations

The Levy App

Download the Levy app to find scooters closest to you


Technical specs for all of our scooters


The Levy swappable battery system

Spare Parts

Every spare part you need for your scooter


Choose the Levy scooter that suits you best


Learn more about electric scooter tires


Bags, phone holders, helmets and more

Levy Electric Scooter Icon

The everyday electric scooter, perfect for the daily commute.

Levy Electric Scooter Fleets Icon

Start a rental fleet with Levy scooters and software

Levy Plus Electric Scooter Icon

Our high-end, long range cruiser with double the range of the Levy.

Support Center

FAQs, how-to videos, and quick start guides

Shipping App

Discounted shipping labels for moving your scooter (or any package).

Range Calculator

Estimate real-world range for any scooter

Electric Scooter Laws

Electric scooter laws by state & city


Subscribe to a scooter for $70/month

Shop Locator

Find a location to test ride or bring your Levy in to get repaired


Get in touch with our team

Quick-start guide

Get started with your Levy

Returns & Warranty

Every spare part you need for your scooter

Shipping Policy

Shipping Policy US and International

bottom of page